Thread: POLISH
View Single Post

Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: POLISH

My ex-mother-in-law was of Polish descent. She took great offense to being called a Polack -- felt it was for those who were either from the lower classes or Jewish from Poland. Lady, your husband was a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy. You came from one of a coal town in Pennsylvania. Seems like from her own definition, she was a Polack. OK, I'll give her that she was Catholic. (Get the feeling I did not like my former mother-in-law? 1rnfl)

I was taught that the correct term is Polish, that Polack was a pejorative. I'm German and have been called a kraut many a time.

Like Steve, I care more about your tone than your words. I won't use terms that are deemed negative to describe someone's culture. Not because it is PC per se, just because I was taught not to -- lived in too many countries to not be aware that some words are never said and tis always better to be safe than sorry.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein