View Single Post

Old 12-11-2007, 10:03 PM
n/a

Default Re: First year in the Executive Office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
JohnZ,

I picked up your reference to me in this political thread. I feel sure that I am messing with the thread content because this is not a political comment. (I have never been in the political part of this board and I never will be.)

But I do so love words. Prioritize? Yuck? But I don't know if it has attained word status or not. Remember the days when we used to have to interface.

I am still out here struggling with what to do with online? on line? on-line? -- and spell check is no help.

Today, I actually had a conversation about whether to pronounce the "p" in comptroller. That is a pretty funny one. I looked it up on dictionary.com and found the "p" and sans "p" pronunciations have actually come to a vote. I am meeting one tomorrow so I will ask him what he is.

There is a college somewhere that once a year comes out with a list of words that are used obnoxiously. But I cannot remember where to find it.

Tal,

If you are reading this, I bet you will know where this list is. I remember that last year "went missing" was on it. I hate that expression. I consider you to be the online, on line, on-line reference of TOTV. You saved me a ton of time with your links to the Christmas ornament sites when I asked the question. And I put your link to the Twain quotes in my favorites. I really do appreciate what you are doing. I know a librarian when I see (read) one. There was an ALA poster that said, "When you absolutely, positively have to know, ask a librarian." Your reference connections make you a real 21st Century librarian. Thank you.

(After I read back over this I realized that I should have just started a new thread. But I don't know how to move it now. And I really must move forward with my life by stepping
away from the infernal machine.)

BB
BB. Thanks for the kind words. I do have a MA in Librarianship from Denver U. Got it in 1984. Worked putting puns into business abstracts in Belmont, CA (near Stanford U.) at Information Access Company (IAC) for almost two years (1984-1986). With a really great group of people considering I went to law school right after that. Law students and law professors pale in comparison to the nice people at IAC. You could not hold being lawyers and law students against some of them. Some of them acted just like smoke and mirror producing manipulators of the system for the highest bidder though. Worked at Minneapolis Public Library for just over a year while in law school and then worked for the U of MN Law School Library my last year of law school and after. Did volunteer work in Palm Harbor, FL for 10 to 14 hours a week for almost 150 weeks at two public libraries (2000-2003) but the Director Gene Coppola there did not appreciate me ****ing in his pond so I quit. Also had more trouble than it was worth getting a working link to the FL Victim Services Directory at these two libraries like with a lawsuit and blacklist from volunteering threat (in a letter dated March 2, 2004 of all dates) from the Palm Harbor general counsel because of stuff I allegedly wrote about Gene Coppola to library staff.

This fits a bit in this thread as this did become a bit political on the small scale of Palm Harbor politics.

I will try to find the list you mentioned of obnoxious words.