View Single Post

Old 12-12-2007, 01:56 PM
n/a

Default Re: First year in the Executive Office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ
First year in the Exedcutive Office - They all do the same thing, which is refill the Plum Book. that is Job-1.

For those unfamiliar with the Plum Book, suggest you google it and then review the book itself. it's put out every four years and lists all of the political appointment slots and who has been selected to fill each slot. last count was over 7,000 positions, ranging from Secretary of ___ to gopher.

Once that's done, the appointees learn where they are and a little of what they are supposed to do. then the "advising" starts and policy is made. Eventually, policy is followed somewhat.

The Chief Executive is not a king or dictator (benevolent or otherwise), and expectations of miracles occurring post-inauguration are unrealistic, despite the pre-election rhetoric.
What Congress will allow him or her to get away with is important as well. I got a March 17, 1993 letter from the Assistant to the President for Domestic Policy to William Jefferson Clinton (Carol H. Rasco) when I was bugging politicians back in 1991-1993 (and following) to improve resources accessible for victims/survivors of crimes through libraries. It seemed to get pigeonholed into the Health Care Reform Task Force. Hillary Clinton's baby I believe?? Was this Health Care Reform Task Force pretty much stillborn while trying to get past Congress??