View Single Post

Old 12-13-2007, 06:23 PM
Banned
Default Re: sportster vs. big harley

The rubber mounts were a 2004 (I believe) improvement.

The dual discs are available one the "Roadster XR" model, not the "custom (XC)." The Roadster has the smaller fuel tank (has not been a problem for me) and the solid spoke wheel (very important to me.) I don't like wire-wheel spokes because they all use tube tires. I like tubeless, and one time having a flat will make anyone a believer.

The 1200 over the 883 - definitely! You will notice a performance difference at higher speeds and wherever there are hills. If you ever decide to ride two-up, the larger engine makes it a better ride - you don't have tht salt-on-the-tail feel.

Don't know the last time you were on a bike, but the Sportster is a kick in the tail the first time you ride it. It has so much torque it can run away from you. If it has been a long time since you've ridden, or the only experience is on a 125cc at a community college certification course, the bike (in fact, almost all bikes) can be quite eye-opening. There's a lot of used bikes out there ridden once by folk who were shocked at how much power was under them and the bike literally got away from them the first ride (which ended up not-pleasant).

If this is a first-bike, one shouold consider getting something that's used, less power (500-650cc) and less expensive. The resale/trade-in value won't be brutal, and the learning experience is priceless. Folk don't normally get driver's licenses and immediately get a Porsche or other high-performance ride - bikes are no different. The community college course trains a person to ride at less-than-20mph in a barricaded parking lot on a 125cc bike. Sometimes it worth it (safer, cheaper, more fun) to take the experience in echelons, rather than jumping out there on something hot - and the Sportster is not a "beginner bike," but a performance ride of unique character.