View Single Post

Old 12-22-2007, 11:40 PM
Default Re: Closing costs- New Construction vs Pre-owned

Efrahin,
I agree that it is very difficult to get a straight answer on specific questions regarding both new and resale homes from TV real estate agents. I was a licensed RE broker in NY for over 10 years and am very surprised at how little information is given to prospects by TV salespeople. We first looked at homes in May during a visit, and have been actively looking online and speaking with TV agents for over 6 months.
We only received the email on the discounts when we inquired about it, and experienced numerous other "issues" which convinced us to purchase through an MLS broker instead.
The MLS site, among other things, gave us complete information up front, such as section, lot and block numbers, specific information on how to calculate the taxes, printable copies of the various floor plans on TV models, and when we made our offer the agent got back to us within 6 hours with a counter, and we finalized the deal in less than one day.
I don't want to go into specifics on the issues we had with TV real estate, but trust me when I say they were numerous and we did not find it professional. Perhaps it was just the agents we were "assigned" during our preview.
I realize others may have had better experiences, and this in no way changes the fact that we love The Villages and are looking forward to our move, but as the saying goes "caveat emptor."
Please check into rentals by owners and inquire with MLS brokers as well. Hope you find a rental soon and your perfect home as well. Good luck and Happy Holidays!