Thread: HOT DOG
View Single Post

Old 12-23-2007, 03:03 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: HOT DOG ~ Dee Dee's

This afternoon I had a craving for a hot dog. Since I was at Home Depot and opted not to go to the tent (love their Italian sausages and hot dogs but have found that often in late afternoon, I’ve been stuck with a not-so-fresh bun), I decided to give Dee Dee’s a try. I was curious since seemingly it had taken forever to get the place open once it had been announced.

I was kinda taken aback with the décor at Dee Dee’s. Very nice, bright, larger than expected. It’s got quite a few tables of various sizes as well as “counter” stools. It’s really not a counter per se, but that’s beside the point. There’s a menu and order pad at each table. The customer marks his order and takes it to the counter and pays. The food is then delivered to your table.

The place offers a wide selection of dogs, just about any combination one would desire. I think the franks are all beef, generally sabrettes and viennas. They range from a hot dog with mustard through corndogs to wieners with <insert weird food stuff here>, about 10 or so selections. I stuck with my desired chili dog, which came with onions and mustard. The hot dog was fine, the chili was great, and the onions were ideally whatever good onions are. I passed on the mustard. The highlight, though, was the bun. It was a very crusty baguette-type roll. It reminded me of the most delicious simple sandwich I’ve ever had, years ago on the streets of Amsterdam. Delicious Dutch ham on the most heavenly roll smothered in Danish butter --- but I digress. The bun at Dee Dee’s might be a challenge to denture wearers ~ I was concerned about my bridge ~ but it’s worth the risk. The dog came with a very, very, very thin slice of pickle and some cole slaw.

At first, I was a bit taken aback by the prices. Seemed kinda proud of their food. However, after having the meal, it seemed worth the cost. Dogs were, if I remember correctly, $3.75 for the plain and $4.75 for the name brands. There’s also a large selection of burgers for about $6.75. Also sides, desserts, and drinks. Not sure of the prices. Could be a quarter or so off.

I’ll go back.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e