View Single Post

Old 12-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Default Re: ANYBODY INTERESTED IN THE ARTS -- OPERA/PLAYS/SYMPHONY??

I love opera and when we lived in Tokyo, La Scala di Milano came to perform Nabucco, and Turandot. This was in the late 80's so I am not sure how things work there now but in my day when film companies and theater companies came to Japan they hired Western foreigners living there to fill in as extras. I did a couple of Japanese movies but when La Scala came and called for extras, a group of us from my office went down and auditioned. I now consider one of the highlights of my life to have "performed" with La Scala. Not really a performance, I was a Hebrew slave in Nabucco and spent my time on stage being herded around by people with swords and huddling with other slaves to avoid being herded. But at the end of the first act, when the audience gave a standing ovation, I beamed (standing way behind all the tenors, sopranos, etc.) as if I were Beverley Sills.
Barbara
Johannesburg, London, Wiesbaden, Fairfield CA, Tokyo, Rock Hill SC, Myrtle Beach, Denver, Baltimore, Bangkok, Hongkong, Rutland VT, New York NY, Seneca SC, and next (and last stop as soon as we sell our house) The Villages.