View Single Post

Old 11-24-2014, 03:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,320 Times in 2,057 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eweissenbach View Post
I would hope you didn't interpret my posts as being negative toward the book, the author, or you, because that was not my intent. My initial response was in the form of a question posed to a poster, and was meant to clarify his/her statement and advance the discussion. I am not in any way opposed to the book being in a school library, in fact it should be. I would perhaps question it being used as a text or a required reading in a public school, but not even sure of that stance without reading it, which I have not. I am still not sure what the nature of the objection by the school was and would not pretend to make a judgment without a complete understanding of the situation. As I stated, my kids all graduated from Christian sponsored private schools, where religious books of all kinds were studied and that was perfectly agreeable to me. In fact they also were required to study about other religions in order to be more informed about the world, and that too was fine with me. I have tried to educate myself on other religions as an adult in order to try and make sense of their actions, since I got no education on that as a youngster. Some would have this forum be about nothing but agreement in total, which is not only not realistic, but devoid of intelligent reasoning. I occasionally take advocate positions, not out of disagreement, but in an effort to deepen the discussion, and I may be oft understood as a result. I am of the opinion that seeing and discussing different points of view without vitriol is an effective way of either forming informed opinions, or cementing your previously held opinions. Happy Thanksgiving everyone!
I like this input. We do need to know more about the situation of why this book was denied being cataloged, etc., for whatever library is in question. It does not seem clear if this is a public, school, or some other library. It does cost money to catalog and process a book for circulation.