View Single Post

Old 12-28-2007, 04:08 AM
Veteran member
Default Book Review: "Complete Guide to The Villages, Florida

This 117 page, slightly less than double-spaced e-book, written by Ryan Erisman, is oriented mainly to the person who wants tips on how to buy a house in TV, and who has very little experience in dealing with real estate.*

Very little of the book, perhaps 15 to 20 pages, is about TV itself.* A page is devoted to a generic TV overview, a page to TV living costs, a page to Golf and a page providing a partial list of activities.* Four or five pages are devoted to resources in TV such as magazines, newspapers, radio and TV stations, and 4 pages describe the types of homes in TV, much less information than you would get on the TV website.* Six pages are devoted to the CDDs and POA.* From this point, pages 29 through 83 are not Village-specific with regard to property taxes, homeowners insurance, real estate contracts, mortgages, types of ownership - all that could apply to anywhere in Florida.* The last pages (84-117) provide random statistics, facts, and website links about Florida, generally.

This book is written from a real estate perspective.* While probably helpful to the real estate and Florida novice, I was disappointed in its cursory coverage of how TV was developed, how it's operated, and what makes it attract so many people (including my wife and me) contrasted with other "retirement communities."*

I'm looking forward to "the definitive" TV book, including the history of the area, how "the family's" vision was formed and carried out, what makes The Villages different, why it is so successful, and what it will become. :beer2: 040

Thanks for the info on "The Villages - Then and Now".* I plan to get a copy.
Brockton, MA 1946-49 * Fort Lauderdale 1950-66 * Northern Virginia (Army) 1967-69 * North Lauderdale 1970-72 * Coconut Creek 1973-87 * St. Louis 1988-89 # Northern Virginia (again) 1990-2000 * Destin, FL 2001-08 * The Villages - Amelia/Hadley