View Single Post

Old 12-30-2007, 12:20 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Famous people you have met.

Not real "stars" but famous in their field:

John Shalikashvili: Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Worked for him in Nuernberg when he had one star.

Clarence Thomas: Judge. Saw him at St. Lawrence Church and at the grocery store in NOVA. I'd be too intimidated to talk to him.

Dick Cheney: Politician. Met him when he was SECDEF visiting Nuernberg. We did his commo. I was slated to brief him, :: but it was cancelled -- phew.

Randy Jones (Cy Young winner) and several other "old timers". There was a group of retired major leaguers touring military facilities in Europe in about 1988. Consumed vast amounts of alcohol with many of them, esp Jones, at an Irish Pub in the Alte Stadt of Nuernberg.

Polly Bergen. Many years ago (about 1975) I stopped in a bar in Vail a bit of the hair of the dog on the way to the slopes. While sitting at the bar, a woman took the next stool as she waited for a table. She, the bartender, and I exchanged small talk for about 10 minutes. When she left, I couldn't help commenting to the bartender that she was without doubt one of the most beautiful women I'd even seen, especially at 9:00 AM. She identified her as Polly Bergen, who I only knew from a couple old movies and cosmetics commercials. I figure she was in her mid 40's at the time and had the most gorgeous complexion imaginable. Made me realize there were good looking people over 30, thank goodness. :2cool:
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e