View Single Post

Old 12-30-2007, 02:46 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.
Default Re: Key West Fantasy Fest

I lived in Key West in the '80s. Fantasy Fest is at the end of October and there are a lot of fabulous events all during the week then a very colorfu[b]l parade with parties everywhere. If you've been to Mardi Gras and enjoyed it then you'll probably enjoy Fantasy Fest. The Parade is meant to be a family event; I'd probably rate it PG-13 and events afterward R.

I enjoyed many of the events including the parade. I'm no stranger to wild events but I don't really enjoy watching people get "stupid, falling down drunk" so I would pick my events and locales very carefully. As for accommodations I would suggest that you look into Guest Houses in the "Old Town" section of the island where you will experience the charm of "Old Key West" and be given a lot of personal attention in an intimate setting. Being in "Old Town" means that you can walk to a lot of fun locations and events. You will want to rent bikes, mopeds or scooters as travel by car is 1. tough to navigate through the narrow, crowded little streets, 2. parking is impossible and 3. you will definitely enjoy your Key West experience much more by foot and/or two wheeled conveyance.

Remember Fantasy Fest is an incredibly popular event that is attended by thousands of people from the world over so be prepared for intense crowds and some in various states of undress. If you truly plan to attend you'd better make your reservations SOON!