View Single Post

Old 12-31-2007, 07:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: Favorite vacation?

Mine was a trip to Israel, traveling alone in the late 80s. I visited Tel Aviv and Jerusaleum for a day and 5 days in Eilat. I have never been in a country where the people were as kind, generous and friendly. While in Eilat, I was invited to dinner three times by total strangers -- one Israeli, one Arab and one European on an extended vacation there. Had a wonderful experience at each meal.

So, you have a nation that is in constant danger but with an incredible history; some truly interesting scenary; good food (even if they don't have bagels there); and some of the warmest people you will ever meet. It definitely ranks as a place I hope to visit again.

I was going to drive from Eilat to Jerusaleum because I didn't think I'd seen as much as I could have. So, rented a car, got about two miles out of town and turned the car around to go back to Eilat. Now, I've driven London roundabouts, French roundabouts, German autobahn, even Roman roundabouts, but hands down, Israelis are the most terrifying drivers in the world! I'm not talking about roundabouts, but a straight, alleged two-lane main highway with no dividers. They drive in the middle of the road and play chicken ... neither driver wants to give an inch. I was literally shaking when I got back to Eilat.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein