View Single Post

Old 01-01-2008, 06:35 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: Quality of new homes

I bought a ranch in Liberty Park 2 1/2 years ago. That was right when they started building everything as spec homes, no buyer options at all. I've got a 2 bed/2 bath/den Corpus Christi. I was lucky in that this place -- one of only a couple available that day -- was an end unit with a double garage and golf cart garage. Didn't think at the time that this was a big deal, but since then I adore the extra space and am the envy of friends who didn't get them.

I agree with some of the comments that there were a lot of "less than desired" aspects about the house, but for the price I didn't think it was that bad. Since the neighborhood has filled out, almost every home has seen some type of work. Everyone's done a lot of landscaping. Everyone has painted most if not all rooms. Many have added birdcages, others vinyl siding around the bottoms of the screens on the lanais. A few have enclosed lanais. Many have adding guttering. A lot of us have put in tile or hardwood floors. Tile walls/splash stuff -- whatever you call it -- is popular and a few folks have put in new counter tops. A couple people put in pavers, and a few more of us had the drive, garage, lanai, and pad sealed and painted (strongly recommend this :bigthumbsup:-- looks great and makes garage and lanai much easier to keep clean). As for the appliances provided -- hey, they're builder grade, so they suck. I'll not be at all sorry to see my frig and dishwasher bite the dust so I can replace them ~ cost of doing business and I'll plan the expenditure.

All in all, I think I did okay. Maybe I could have gotten a lot more house for less in Leesburg or Ocala, but I also know that I couldn't have gotten a 2 bedroom condo in Alexandria or Arlington, VA, for twice the price. And those don't come with a dozen golf courses within a 10 minute cart ride. :#1:
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e