View Single Post

Old 01-01-2008, 05:59 PM
Platinum member
Default New Years Eve I'll Not Forget

So we're supposed to go with 12 neighbors in a motor home to a dinner/show to a NY Eve shindig. Okay so what time are we suppose to leave Honey? I call the business to find out when dinner is served. Motor home neighbor says dinner is at 7:30. Business says 6:30 with show entertainment at 8:00. Neighbor says they're running late so she writes directions on paper and says they'd catch up with us. 4 of us pile in our car with 3/8 tank of gas. Plenty I think. Familiar with most of the route then it gets tricky. No such route on direction sheet. Maybe she transposed a number 1018 instead of 1810. Nah it's down here somewhere. After driving thru twisties that any sports car enthusiast would love I get a message on my cell. But the signal is weak and I'm unable to copy it. Satellite phone purchase on horizon. Garmin/Lowrance GPS for sure. We see 2 men standing outside a fire department ask them for directions. Yeah shocking huh ladies. 2 miles straight ahead one says. Yippee!

We arrive, albeit and hour late, and our neighbors who provided directions, even beat us there. We're in time to woof down a salad and get our main course, prime rib. Cold, supposedly to order, NOT, with delicious rolls, cold peas, luke warm potato, no butter, and beverage. Horse radish was in squeeze bottle. Did I mention the seats on a C-130 were more comfy?

Food removed, toast to past & future. Let the show begin. I felt as though I was in a different time zone. Not by hours but decades. I will spare you the details. Okay intermission. Great! Oh my aching back/butt/ears. Gee what's that noise outside? The wind is howling. Couple that came with us are ready to leave anytime. Wife has her coat in hand. Neighbor that gave us wrong directions also ready to book. As we walk outside hurricane New Years Eve is blowing through. I tell the couple to wait and I'll get the car. I'm soaked and pick them up at the door. Nice guy huh. Once inside the car, "Where the hells the defrost?" Can't see cause my glasses are soaked. Just push the buttons wifey says. Her car. What F Button? Neighbor riding shotgun takes care of defrost. Visibility nil and we're off. Followed neighbor through the twisties again to get us back to semi civilization when all of a sudden he slams on the brakes only to find a sequoia tree blocking the road. So 2 of us get out to move Sherwood Forrest with hurricane still blowing. Finally get tree moved so we can drive around. Now my underwear is wet. Ewww! Can't see again. Glasses are wet. Lasik YES. Couple with us comments that "Where else could you go and have this much fun"? I mentioned dentist - wife works there. Did I mention that the gas tank was getting lower? Finally arrive home safely. Plenty of gas remaining 78 miles till empty. It's 2335 hours. Sorry 11:35 PM. Turn on tube "I wanna watch Law N' Order". I wanna watch Barrett-Jackson Car Auction. You figure out who wants to watch what. 11:57 I greet my wife and we turn the tv on to Dick Clark. (Bless His Heart) 11:58.30 Sadie wants out. Holy :edit:. Sadie gets tossed in the garage for 90 secs. Midnight TA DAH!. I love you honey, love you too dear. kiss kiss. Uh Sadie needs to go out. :edit: knew it was too quiet in here. Sadie does serious bizzness outside. Gets treat. Back inside house, watch a little more tv. Yawn! Nite dear, nite honey. Another year down the tubes. Next year in TV. Shorts, sandals, and the only thing I'll have to worry about is if the cart batteries have enough charge to get us home.

Life Is Good

God Bless Our Troops