Thread: Cold help
View Single Post

Old 12-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
I rarely get colds or the flu, so really am at a loss. I can deal with the drippy nose and other general symptoms. However, I have a horrible cough -- so bad that I end up gagging. The cough is coming from the throat, not the chest. I don't need a decongestant but do need something to stop the cough. Any suggestions?
If you don't have a family doctor, please, go to an urgent care. Paramount on 466 is an extra good urgent care with a pharmacy onsite. Don't self-medicate with over-the-counter cold medicines. It is dangerous. Especially if you have high blood pressure or hidden high blood pressure. My mom was a diabetic and was in end stage renal failure before she passed. I cannot count how many people I talked to doing dialysis with her who had lost the use of their kidneys because of self-medicating with cold medicines.

There are warnings on the labels, but most people don't heed the warning and/or don't know they have high blood pressure. It is very dangerous.

Drink plenty of liquids and stay hydrated. Even hot steamy showers can help sooth the bronchial passages. But you need to get to the root of the problem. See a medical professional. I hope you start feeling better soon. If there is anything I can do for you, send me a PM.