View Single Post

Old 01-02-2008, 04:44 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch
Default Re: New Years on the Squares

Yeah, but there's no clue who will be the riff-raff ahead of time.

I don't really think NYE at TV quite compares to NYE at Times Square. There, the police are out in force. Here, from what I understand, the local constabulary basically refused or didn't have the manpower to be at the Squares. That being the case, closing the Squares makes sense. I know it is possible to close even a public street -- it's done all the time for street fairs and parades in California. So, saying it is not possible to close the Squares off to only TV residents is not quite accurate unless it is truly illegal by Florida law and that seems unlikely considering streets can be closed off for block parties and limited to residents only.

The logistics are relatively simple. There aren't that many roads that lead to the Squares. Rent-a-cops could be stationed on these roads and only allow those with ids and their guests. Additional rent-a-cops could be hired to patrol the Squares themselves and remove those who are drunk or exceedingly rowdy. Easy? No. Doable? Yes.

I do think the Polo Grounds is a good alternative. The obvious question would be whether it is large enough to let people be on the field and still have rooms for bands, etc. Having people sit in the stands wouldn't be all that much fun for an event like celebrating NYE.

Another alternative would be to open the rec centers. Have different bands in each. Make it a set price ticket that would allow you to travel from rec center to rec center or just stay put (your option). It could be done with either kiosks available for drinks or BYOB.

There are solutions. Hopefully, TV rec will find them by next year. The handling and ultimate solution for this year really was unsatisfactory.

Obviously, the other solution is to simply not put on a NYE celebration and leave it to the local bars, restaurants and homes to provide one. Works in many towns but just doesn't seem quite for the lifestyle of TV, at least not to me.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein