View Single Post

Old 12-24-2014, 12:25 PM
Sage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by quirky3 View Post
I have been looking forward to this for 42 years. And I have made all of the preparations, planning, had the farewell celebrations and 12/31 is my last day. I am SO ready!!

I also have a good vision of what I will do with my time post-retirement. The one thing that caught me off-guard was the moment of saying goodbye to individual co-workers.

We have spent all day together for many years, and many people are taking vacation, so I am saying goodbye in bits and pieces. But it seems so surreal to say goodbye and really mean "Have a nice life", even though we can all stay in touch via email, facebook and Linkedin. NOT that I regret my decision in any way!
I know what you mean about saying goodbye to co-workers. It is very hard. They had a big luncheon for me (55 people), gave a speech, asked me to say a few words and I was tongue-tied. Then my workers from my old office had another luncheon (45 people), I had to say goodbye to all of them. Then my boss wanted to take me to lunch. We said goodbye. Then he wanted to take my husband and I to dinner so we did that saying goodbye again. Then on the day we were packing our pod on our last day in Ohio my boss came to the house and watched us load up. It was so hard to say goodbye. I loved all of my co-workers but once all of that was done I was so ready to get on the road to come down here for our new life. It has been great. 6 years so far and we still know it was the best decision we've ever made.