View Single Post

Old 12-29-2014, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopsterdad View Post
several factors are involved in the replacement. one is a skilled surgeon, mine was dr. duke, who does not cut muscle, tendons, or ligaments, i am not overweight, age, i was 60 when i had the surgery, i trained hard for the surgery, strength, worked hard after in rehab at home, walker for one day, cane for two weeks, golfing from forward tees at 6 weeks, full swings at 12 weeks, now, one year later, ran and walked a mini marathon, do a workout on the elliptical than is second to none. very happy. you are only going to get out of the replacement what you want. i want all that i can get out of that.
I totally agree, the skilled surgeon is key, with either conventional or robotic TKR. Both surgeries muscle, tendons and ligaments are cut. Excess weight in the area requires a larger incision, as with all surgery. Physical condition before surgery will make it much easier with PT after. Dedication to PT is what makes the difference if you just want to be pain free or be active, sports, dancing, golfing or long walks. Stationary bike, to me, was a necessity to loosen up the leg before PT. It is no walk in the park and not entirely up to the surgeon, you have to give 100%.

The flex the OP is referring to is the passive motion machine, only moves the leg up and down, no big deal. The worse part is yet to come, flexing backward. Bring the heal of the foot back and up to the butt. That is the real flex.