View Single Post

Old 01-05-2008, 12:10 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: I am so surprised by the youthfulness demonstrated here on TOTV

Talk Host, you made me stop and think.

Let's see, at 35 I had to trade my Harley in for a Ford Falcon station wagon and a new refrigerator. Now, I have a new black Road King Classic. When I bought it, I told the dealer to take the stock pipes off and make it sound like a '55. Yeah, I know, I'm the guy that sets off your car alarms when I rumble by. Cool.

At 35 I thought I hung my baseball spikes up forever. Now I have new ones and bought a bat for Village softball that cost more than my first car, a 1949 Pontiac convertible. I'm playing a couple of days a week with great teamates and new friends. The only difference in the caliber of play is that doubles would have been triples, and singles would have been doubles at 35.

At 35, I played golf 5 times a year with a wooden driver and a set of McGregor (Sears I think) irons. Today, I play 3 times a week with a Cobra driver that has a head as big as a cantelope and sounds like an oil can when you hit it. My Callaway irons actually have a 10 iron. Never saw one of those when I was 35. My game is not much better, but, I have a lot more fun.

Did you ever wonder when you were really young and into Rock and Roll, if the songs would still be remembered when and if you made 60+? I used to worry about that a lot when I was a kid. I couldn't imagine firing up my car radio and not hearing Buddy Holly, The Platters, The Beach Boys, Del Vikings, The Drifters and others when I was old. No problem. I hear them in the car, on the Bose system in Sumter Landing and Spanish Springs and new renditions at the gazebos. I mean....how cool is that. To top it off we have these cruise-ins and I see continental kits and fender skirts on vintage cars like the ones we used to look for girls in. Ahhhh, honey, that's until I met you of course.

I've turned the corner on 66...that would be years, not the highway, and going on 21... that would be in The Villages mindset age, not the drinking age.

If I could only find a way to get back my long black hair with the DA and my 34 inch waist...............