View Single Post

Old 01-07-2015, 08:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beechie View Post
Political correctness can and will quell freedom of speech. Political satire is the exercising of that fundamental right in a democracy. Like it or not. We only agree with the satire if it suits our ideology. To accept and succumb to the horrible outcome as "expected" in light of their political satire is outrageous. To suggest they got what they deserved is a victory for the terrorists. Certainly the two dead policemen were just there to do their job. We have to stop making excuses for their rampant murdering sprees and we need to resist blaming the victims.
I agree with this, and also with Tal.

The location of the police officer who was shot as he lay on the sidewalk was less than half a block from our apartment in Paris. I would be walking past that site to go to the Sunday outdoor market up by Place de la Bastille. The paper's offices were a few doors away from a small store we frequented. We have been watching video of our apartment building and familiar streets all day. It is a solidly middle class neighborhood with many children. We used to walk a friend's elementary school son home from school past there. I am just heartsick.

The French have as strong, if not stronger, a dedication to freedom of speech as we Americans. They do not mess around with political correctness very much. They are also at the forefront in the fight against terrorists. However, there is a lot prejudice against Muslims and Jews there, esp. in Paris. There have been laws passed limiting the wearing of certain items of clothing in certain places (mostly schools) and others proposed that would seem to be designed to limit religious freedom of immigrants. I could see how this could cause the French to be targeted by religious fanatics.