View Single Post

Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Tom, I am NOT defending people making fun or being critical or hurting others about their religion. When the gooney pastor here in Florida burnt the copy of the Quran I thought that is just plain wrong. Someone is likely to kill you. You are gonna bring trouble to all of us and what are you accomplishing??? I was mad when someone said something about the Virgin Mary on this forum that was a very not nice joke. I get it.

But murdering someone sets an entirely different bar.

I don't care how devout you are, someone, sometime is gonna say something about your God, your wife or your kid, your house or your shirt. We don't kill people over it. Everyone needs to be protected against that kind of extremism.

That is why I am afraid of Muslim extremists. We all should be wary.

The magazine was way too much for me. I am not defending it's tone or it's taste or agreeing with it.

They not only insulted Muslims. Apparently they insulted everyone; the French President, our president etc. etc. In the link someone posted, there was a picture of Barack Obama and a large rabbit next to each other, lampooning the presidents ears.

The Today show showed one of the four cartoons. It was the prophet kneeling with a man in an Isis uniform with a knife at his throat and the prophet saying. I am God, you idiot.
I saw that the spokesperson for the American Library Association denounced these murders but I will bet that very few US libraries have magazines like MAD, the French one targeted, or others like these IN PRINT FORM. You will not find many items in local public libraries where the majority of that community object to the contents. No Hustlers for instance and rarely Playboys or Playgirls.

Murdering people who write stuff you object to though takes this to a whole 'nother level as they said often on MAD TV. I mean whole 'nother level. It is terrorism plain and simple.