View Single Post

Old 01-09-2015, 09:26 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
There have been attempts to do somewhat of what you say. Quickly check the failure rate in schools just in the state of Florida. You will find that one of the biggest reasons for the rate is language difficulties, yet any proposal to insist on English is met with resistance and WE put everyone on a guilt trip because we are picking on poor immigrants. I am speaking of second and third generation immigrants.

Our law says you must learn english to become a citizen.....how is that working do you think ?
As a teacher in small south Jersey I can tell you that families arrived in our district from Turkey and Portugal not speaking English 30 years ago. The ESL teachers work with these students and did the best they can to bring them up to speed. They met with their parents and the kids translated. The Turkish families applied to one of their organizations to send the HS ESL teacher and her husband to vacation in Turkey. I learned a 3 Turkish phrases to teach electronics when the first kids arrived, "What's happening?", "Please don't do that", and "Is it broken?." I'm sure my pronunciation was terrible at the very best but the kids knew I cared and they made remarkable progress in four years. Kids assimilate quickly.

It worked where I lived. I don't know if it's working now where I lived.