Old 01-10-2015, 10:50 PM
Sage
Default NOT A CLASSIC BUT A GOOD READ after the classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkir View Post
In the last year I enjoyed reading

The Good Earth...Pearl Buck
The Count of Monte Christo.....Aleander Dumas
"THE GOOD EARTH" by Pearl S. Buck is one of my all time favorites, which I've read & reread numerous times.........excellent classic.

Also, another recommendation is "Gone with the Wind"........

"The Emigrants" by Vilhelm Moberg: about Swedish immigrants setting up a farm/homestead in America........well worth reading....

"Exodus" by Leon Uris

However, I'm pretty eclectic in what I read........including books that depict what "might" happen in our near future......given the current state of the world.

At the moment, I'm reading "ONE SECOND AFTER" by William R. Forstchen........re what would happen to all of us if an E.M.P. (electro magnetic pulse) should go off over the horizon.......did you know that our modern cars would not work?

Anyone have an old Edsel? Volkswagon bus/van? Old, very old Army Jeep? You are my new best friend. This book is so riveting (very easy read).....that I encouraged my husband to also put it on his Kindle.........he's almost caught up to where I am at the moment.

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.

In a Norman Rockwell town in North Carolina, where residents rarely lock homes, retired army colonel John Matherson teaches college, raises two daughters, and grieves the loss of his wife to cancer. When phones die and cars inexplicably stall, Grandma’s pre-computerized Edsel takes readers to a stunning scene on the car-littered interstate, on which 500 stranded strangers, some with guns, awaken John’s New Jersey street-smart instincts to get the family home and load the shotgun. Next morning, some townspeople realize that an electromagnetic pulse weapon has destroyed America’s power grid, and they proceed to set survival priorities. John’s list includes insulin for his type-one diabetic 12-year-old, candy bars, and sacks of ice. Deaths start with heart attacks and eventually escalate alarmingly. Food becomes scarce, and societal breakdown proceeds with inevitable violence; towns burn, and ex-servicemen recall "Korea in ’51" as military action by unlikely people becomes the norm in Forstchen’s sad, riveting cautionary tale, the premise of which Newt Gingrich’s foreword says is completely possible. --Whitney Scott

WILLIAM R. FORSTCHEN has a Ph.D. from Purdue University with specializations in Military History and the History of Technology. He is a Faculty Fellow and Professor of History at Montreat College. He is the author of over forty books, including the New York Times bestselling series Gettysburg and Pearl Harbor (coauthored with Newt Gingrich), as well as the award-winning young adult novel We Look Like Men of War. He has also authored numerous short stories and articles about military history and military technology. His interests include archaeological research on sites in Mongolia, and as a pilot he owns and flies an original World War II "recon bird." Dr. Forstchen resides near Asheville, North Carolina with his teenage daughter Meghan and their small pack of golden retrievers and yellow labs.