View Single Post

Old 01-12-2015, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,208 Times in 1,172 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Town View Post
Talk about changing times.... German Chancellor Angela Merkel was there. The French would be speaking German if it wasn't for us.
And many of them know that and appreciate what we did for them that day on Normandy Beach. I'll never forget sitting across the dinner table a few years ago with a couple, both French schoolteachers, who hosted me as a guest in their home. The husband proceeded to tell me, with tears in his eyes, how indebted he felt to our country and how grieved he was by the loss of so many young American lives that day in 1944, but as he said, if not for them and that day, France would not even exist. Also, on the train ride from Paris to their home, the group I was with were "entertained" by a rowdy bunch of young fellows who appeared to be in a party mood and imbibing in a few drinks from the bar. Come to find out they were French navy men who were just coming home from a tour of duty. After exchanging our stories, including why we were there, they proceeded to tell us how much they loved Americans and went so far as to present to our tour guide the flag that they had brought home with them. It was a very emotional experience. I cannot help but feel that we let down our French friends by not having more of an official presence at yesterday's event in Paris.