View Single Post

Old 01-13-2015, 02:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyatlast View Post
When you and I (a few years younger) were young, it was not a "college plan" of financing that prepared people to be skilled entrants to a well-paid job and career. It was upbringing at home and school that taught us to:

-work, earn and save for what we wanted to buy;

-"obey" authorities, like teachers, policemen and employers;

-do your chores and homework on time;

-expect to hear at home: "If you get into trouble at school, you're in trouble at home, too. We're not going in there to run interference for you, and do not blame the teacher. Own up to it and take your punishment and learn from it."

- "Live within your means"

- Show up on time every time, and don't punch out from work until after quitting time.

- The customer is always right.

- This is how you make change when the cash register isn't working to tell you the exact amount in change.

- If you don't know the answer, admit you don't know and say "But I'll try to find out".

It probably sounds simplistic, but those are the lessons missing from the upbringing of people I know who did not take advantage of those cheaper college options we had, and now they moan about "The system is rigged" and it's somebody else's fault, not their own.
We share the same values. My children do to.

If the question is how do you prepare kids for high paying jobs then a reasonable answer is to provide them with a free education. Their higher salaries will be taxed and they will also contribute to Social Security. The problem is how do you tie that to their first 12 years of schooling so they are moving towards that goal and not looking at a life working for minimal wages.

I don't know what the answer is but I'm trying to find out.