View Single Post

Old 01-13-2015, 04:54 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

An awful lot of drum banging here today, as Gracie and I predicted. Some humble thoughts:

1. No one has talked about the 1st Amendment, even in the mistaken use given by the anti-churchers and anti-religionists.

2. That amendment also says that Congress may make no law 'impeding' the free exercise of religion. Maybe that's the hoped for result: churches will go bankrupt (especially with the curious statements about 'tax them all at the same rate' as other real estate. Hmm, maybe the church would close down or wither away, and some dark victory could be achieved.

3. The beautiful medieval cathedrals are one example of mankind expressing its adoration and worship of God. I think that most churches today, big or small, in many ways duplicate that feeling.

4. I think the word 'mausoleum' was used to refer to churches and church property. I'm sure that was an error.

5. I personally do not agree with the lack of good example, good sense, and good taste displayed by many bishops and other clergy. But, I thankfully can separate those comparatively few misdeeds from this thread's focussed attack on church tax exemption.

6. The stridency of some posts here, and an accompanying lack of coherence or plain and simple thought leads me to be assured that there are ulterior motives present far away from selfless 'civic' duty of American citizens still living under a battered but still strong Constitution.

My post is edited to reflect fact that it was posted after Blueash's post above and its reference to the 1st Amendment.