View Single Post

Old 01-13-2015, 06:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by The20Percent View Post
I find it telling how many of those that say they would pay for the damage will say nothing more than it's their responsiblity for hitting their ball off course, while the others that do not appear to not want to accept responsiblity for the damage, appear to make different explainations (excuses?) about why they shouldn't have to pay for the damage they caused.

If I scrapped up against someone's car in the parking lot by misjudging my car's parking space, then I would feel responsible and wait for the driver to return or leave a note on their car. I see no difference with hitting my golf ball carelessly, or in the wrong direction and breaking out someone's house window...both these actions have (unintentionally) caused damaged to an innocent person's property and I hold myself morally responsible for my actions. It's a matter of character and my parents and grandparents alike both taught me to have good character. It may not immediately feel good to fess up and pay up, but I feel that if I treat my fellow man the way I would wish to be treated if something like this happened to me, I will never have to doubt my decision, consciously worry, or worse yet be a bad example to those that may wish to emulate me.
I agree with most of what you said; however, when I park in a parking lot I do so with the expectation everyone will stay in their own space and not damage my vehicle. If I buy on the golf course I do so knowing full well there is a possibility my home could be damaged by errant balls.