View Single Post

Old 01-15-2015, 02:29 AM
Gold member

When we visited here and rented homes, we rented golf carts or used the ones provided by the home owner. Most were gas. Golf carts are just plain fun! We knew we wanted one, or maybe one each.

During one stay we rented electric. Bill just called a private ad in the paper. The cart was not fully charged when we got it and we weren't sure how long to charge it. It all seemed very complicated. And we weren't thrilled with the electric option at that time.

Fast forward and we have one car, (a Prius), and 2 electric carts. I fell in love with the Ca. Roadster and found a great deal on a used cart. It fits me to a "T" and I drive it when ever possible. Being used, the batteries are due to be replaced, but I can drive confidently to Lake Sumter and to Brownwood, to Colony and home. It was our first cart, just because I found what I really wanted.

Bill took his time and looked, and looked while just using mine for golf. We loved my electric so much that he found a used 2010 Star for less than 1/4 the price of a new cart. It is great! He gets much better range than I do with mine. We live south of 466A and he goes everywhere in it unless time is a issue. We have driven across 441 on the Golf cart overpass and explored the historic area. Never any range problems. The electrics also have good power and can easily go 25 mph, so we have to watch our speed.

For us the fact that we can carry on a conversation quietly, no smell, and clean and green make electric the best choice for us. Despite our early experiences. We have never broken down. (or run out of juice) It is no big deal to plug them in at night. Just like locking the doors. Part of our nightly routine.

Different strokes for different folks! I must say that we have 2 great carts for less than what one new cart costs. So do look at used. There are so many good ones out there.

I'm sure you will figure out what fits your needs best. But we do consider a golf cart ride to be a daily treat. Bill plays golf almost daily, but I just need my golf cart fix and happily use it to get groceries, shop, and run errands. It takes longer than in the car. But the world is much prettier from a golf cart. And we are retired. We just plan for the time it takes to get from point A to point B.

Also, I do know there are some recharging stations. "Outback" has one for their customers. I saw a list at one time.

***DISCLAIMER***We did have our grandkids (over 14, and legal) drive mine until it was out of juice ONE TIME. They pulled into SeaBreeze and plugged it in to an outside outlet using our onboard charger. They asked permission from the Rec desk first.

More charging options would be nice. But the newer batteries have 50+ mile ranges and make it really unnecessary. Who wants to cover that much territory in a golf cart in 1 day?

You will love exploring The Villages in your Golf Cart! Welcome Home. Gas or Electric, you will find the cart you need!