View Single Post

Old 01-16-2015, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
rcaprio: I understand what you mean and the problem has been national but with the demands by government to have all medical records electronic it has placed an undue burden on providers and is rapidly increasing. Many experts ave been warning people to carefully review their records Doctors spend too much time date entering information they receive from their patients instead of focusing their attention to their patients as they speak.

Thanks for the heads up
As an R.N. who works in primary care for the VA which probably has the most advanced electronic medical record system in the world, from my perspective I can't even begin to describe the many ways the electronic medical record has enhanced all aspects of patient care. I do an extensive amount of telephone triage, and I am one click away from finding out pertinent patient data such as medication profiles, recent lab test results, progress notes, surgical reports, etc., that help me more accurately disposition patient care needs. If I get a call from a patient who has cold symptoms that forgets to tell me they have COPD and are on home oxygen and 4 inhalers, when I see that info in their medical record they will get a same day PCP appt or be directed to the ER because their condition can deteoriate quickly to a life threatening situation as opposed to another patient who does not have the same medical history.

Yes, I do agree that some EMR requirements placed on physicians are a terrible time burden, but believe me, as much as the physicians I work with complain from time to time about these EMR requirements, when the computers go down and they do not have immediate access to info they need from the EMR they freak big time and everything goes into slow motion and patient care is delayed.