View Single Post

Old 01-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Veteran member
Default I prefer river cruises to ocean cruises

We have done 2 river cruises now, one on AMA Waterways and one on Viking River Cruises. I'd highly recommend both.

I like the fact that with river cruises the ships are small (usually less than 150 people) and much more intimate. They are able to pull up to a dock in smaller cities where you have the option of getting off and exploring the city yourself, taking an excursion (sometimes local by bus, sometimes a walking tour of the city) or even using the bicycles on board to explore the countryside.

These are smaller ships, so at best you'll have an onboard piano player or maybe a singer in the lounge for the duration of the cruise. But since they make several stops, they are always bringing in local entertainment or even local artisans to do demonstrations on the ship.

Food was always spectacular with wine usually included and in Germany they prided themselves on bringing in different local regional wines for dinner.

Be sure to check the details of your cruise line, but unlike ocean cruises where you're nickled and dimed to death, most everything is included on river cruises (at least the ones I've done.) It makes for a pleasant change and you can then tip for really exceptional service when someone goes above and beyond the call of duty!