View Single Post

Old 01-20-2015, 03:01 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
Nutz(sic)...not at all!

I ride recumbents all the time. As a matter of fact I just finished a ride this morning with the Sumter Landing Bike Club. I was the only recumbent in the group. I ride a trike with bright lighting and a 6 foot flag. I ride very defensively and have been doing so for the past 6 years……..
The greatest threat to cyclists safety, in my opinion, is unsafe riding by cyclists themselves, regardless of the type of bike they ride.
You hit the nail on the head with these two highlighted phrases.

Yesterday, while driving my car on Rio Grande where the car and diamond lanes could not be narrower or tighter to start with, it was cloudy and not good visibility. I was headed toward 441 and as I came into a tree shaded area, I got a glimpse of a slow, wobbling bicyclist who could barely be seen in his clothing that could have been literal camouflage:

Dark army green shirt, and the rest was dark grey-colored clothing, the exact colors of the pavement and winter half-dormant grass, trees and bushes. With the cloudiness and dusk-like conditions, he was an unsteady, hidden accident waiting to happen.

If people don't care about themselves and are going to toy and gamble with their own safety on foot or bike, they could at least have some consideration for others and use a couple of bright, high neon flags and a neon or white shirt! This guy looked like he intended to blend in with the scenery so others would never seen him.