View Single Post

Old 01-20-2015, 03:46 PM
Default Just a few thoughts

Bicycles are found on main roads, country roads and city roads all around the country and they have every right to be there. Our complaining isn't going to change it, so we need to change our behavior toward them. I mean no disrespect to any one, but we must all respect anyone we come upon, whether pedestrian, cyclist or auto, and be mindful of everyone's safety. Everywhere - not just in The Villages.

My biggest problem with cyclists is unexpected behavior - their motive is known only to them. That said, I accept their right to be there. I never trust that any bicycle will do what it appears they plan to do and give them a wide berth. Experienced cyclists will probably sneer at that, but we have a large number of very inexperienced people out on the road and, heaven help me, I can't tell the difference. (Don't even get me started on those who ride without helmets.)

Cars and carts do have a serious (and no doubt universal) problem with speeding. Have you ever set your cruise control at 35 mph going down Morse or Buena Vista? Try driving 30 mph in the upper section of Morse and see what happens. I drive that route daily, usually a couple mph over the speed limit myself, and invariably have someone riding my bumper like I was tying up the fast lane on I-75. Yes, many of us have jobs, doctors appointments, and what have you. We all have emergencies from time to time, but if you find yourself speeding more often than not, then you have a scheduling problem.

Driving the speed limit and sharing the road has nothing to do with being retired and everything to do with being sensible and doing the right thing. Will that solve everything? Of course not. Do it anyway.