View Single Post

Old 01-20-2015, 04:19 PM
Gold member

I've only been riding "road bikes" for 8 years not counting as a kid, but have owned and driven motorcycles for over 40 years so I do have some experience sharing the road with cars. Many of the posts on this thread and the one that ran a couple weeks ago remind me of the old guy that used to sit out on his porch at night to see if he could catch us kids cutting across his lawn. Rolling stops is a big one mentioned. I paid very close attention during a couple hundred miles of riding and never saw a car come to a complete stop at a right hand turn unless something was coming or someone stopped in front of them. I saw many continue to go after light has changed red. I have to disagree with my fellow bicycle club member about bike riders being the problem. My advice for those driving cars and come onto a bicycle, even one going slow is try easing your foot off the gas slightly until you can safely pull to the left a little and pass. In all fairness I ride many miles on Morse and Buane Vista and the overwhelming percentage of drivers do share the road and I don't believe I've ever made anyone late for an important engagement.