View Single Post

Old 01-20-2015, 04:22 PM
Default The thing is....

Here's the thing

I drive a car; and I ride one of those crazy low bikes and a really fast one. I've been riding for over 35 years all over the world; logging 3000-4000 miles a year.

There are good bikers and there are good car drives; there are also bad ones of both, Some disturbingly bad. My personal goal is to be a good one of both.

On my bike that means bright lights, predictable behavior; avoiding dangerous areas when feasible etc etc. Cops always complement my lights and visibility. The cops that know me have come to my defense when harassed by bad motorists; I like to think I've earn that protection by doing thing the right way.

In my car; I don't use my cell phone, yes like everyone else I use to for years; now I just don't do it I have learned. I'm always amazed at the number of people on their phone 2 seconds after pulling out of the drive way. Not me, I pay attention and I drive to the best of my abilities.

If I screw up on my bike I put myself in harms way; and in most cases just me unless I'm a complete moron. If I screw up in my car I put everyone else at risk think 99 car pile up in Michigan.

You can't stop stupid behavior of others; but you can avoid it yourself. That's really the best approach to go for. If you hit a bike because the rider was truly at fault then it's their fault. If you hit one because you were careless and at fault; you have to live with the fact that the biker probably will not....

Sadly everyone assumes the biker was at fault; and many of us our working hard to make sure that becomes less and less true.