Thread: Cars and Carts
View Single Post

Old 01-20-2015, 10:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgind View Post
Last week a man died because for what ever reason turned left in front of a car. This man was in a golf cart. This is a very sad event. I use to drive this street for 7 years in a car and a golf cart upon occasion. Many times I would see a golf cart pull out in front of a car to either turn down a street or worse yet turn at the gate at 466 to get down the golf cart path. This area is probably the most dangerous place in The Villages in a golf cart. But not if the drivers of the carts would follow the traffic rules as they are written. Turning left and crossing over a solid white line does not give you the right of way. Dont pull out in front of a car let them pass you wont win the fight with the car. To all drivers stop trying to rewrite the traffic rules we learned years ago. If a cart has a stop sign dont stop to let them pass you may not see the traffic that he sees or you may back up traffic behind you and cause an accident behind you. Waving someone to drive through a stop sign could kill someone. Yes it very well could. Above all be careful these roads are very dangerous.
Actually I appreciate when a car waves me through.....that's one less lane of traffic I need to worry about and can concentrate on the cars going through the gates. I usually assume the person doing the waving is also a cart driver and understands the issues. We're talking seconds here, not enough to create a back up and if someone rear ends another one in the line, it's their fault.....which is also what we were taught. I also assume that those don't stop are in a hurry to go nowhere, but just can't resist.

Berks County Pennsylvania