View Single Post

Old 01-21-2015, 05:41 PM
Default Turned 65 - Need Medicare Advice

I have turned 65 and it's time to sign up for Medicare. Almost all of my friends are younger (I haven't moved to the Villages yet, but I do live only 30 miles away), so I don't have friends that can offer me the benefit of their experience. You are my future neighbors, so I will ask your advice.

All the different options can be mind boggling. I met several months ago with a SHINE counselor and have a grasp of how it works. What is best for me? I don't know. I have heard it said that your health determines what is best for you.

Let me tell you about me. I am active, non-smoker, 10-15 extra pounds, in good to very good health with no chronic conditions. Haven't been to the Doctor in 13 years. That's not very smart, I know. I am self-employed in a construction related business in Central Florida. That should give you an idea of how my business has been the last 7 years (Getting somewhat better now).

I will need a hip replacement in the near future and I had a heart "event" 13 years ago. I had angina and didn't go to the hospital but I probably should have. I have had no discomfort since. I am not adverse to modest co-payments if it makes sense.

I would appreciate you offering your advice on which path you would take (straight Medicare, Advantage or which supplement to buy, and your recommendation of a provider).

Thanks for your time, and I look forward to becoming your neighbor.

Rick