View Single Post

Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: Another Major Iterstate Accident in FL...wonder why????!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
It amazed me in California, it amazed me driving cross-country, it amazes me here -- people can't seem to comprehend that you drive according to conditions. You don't do 80 when it is pouring down rain (well, some do and that be the problem). You don't go speeding over bridges when it is cold. You slow down when you start hitting fog because you never know when it will become dense fog and you sure as heck slow down (safely, not slamming on your brakes) when you hit a patch of dense of fog. If people drove with some common sense rather than worrying about where they are going, there would be a few less accidents.

From the description of this accident, there really wasn't any warning that visibility would go from good to non-existent and the fault probably was the fire that got out of control. I do wonder why there weren't any signs up well before hitting this area warning of possible visibility problems -- doesn't the FHP, etc. know that smoke + mild fog = tule fog? Some warning might have saved a life and property damage.
I will bet that some of these vehicles were going way past 75mph. Even in the middle of the day, I have seen cars and trucks on roads very similar to this one where the wreck was which have 60% or more of the vehicles going well over the speed limit. At this time in the morning 5 am, some of these vehicles were probably doing 95 or so.

I would have been going 40 in such conditions and would have been a road hazard by doing so.