View Single Post

Old 01-22-2015, 10:35 AM
Gold member

I would not feed feral cats (while being very familiar with them as I grew in the country with them all around) for the same reason I would not feed any wildlife: they can become dependent on you, and when you can't do it, then what?

Always go the state fish, game and wildlife commissions' advice and education. Here is just one nugget section of many on the FL Fish & Wildlife Conservation Commission site and white paper linked below. All of it should be read by everybody:
Domestic cats can have impacts on native wildlife:

Domestic cats are not a part of natural ecosystem. A single individual free-ranging cat may kill 100 or more birds and mammals per year. Scientists in Wisconsin estimate that cats kill at least 7.8 million birds per year in that state alone. Even cats with bells on their collars kill birds and small mammals.

Cats compete with native predators and spread disease.

Domestic cats can be a nuisance and cause damage in many of the same ways that wild animals do, such as killing poultry and other small domestic stock.

Homeless cats may compete with pets for food.

Free-ranging cats can kill birds at bird feeders.

Cats can be a nuisance in gardens when they defecate and cover their feces by digging.

Modify your actions to begin solving the cat problem.

Do not feed cats other than your own. Do what you can to eliminate cat's artificial food sources. Bring in pet food at night and secure trash cans by fastening the lid tightly or enclosing in a bin with a locking lid……

Cats: Free Ranging and Feral

http://myfwc.com/media/1348637/Domes...whitepaper.pdf