View Single Post

Old 01-22-2015, 11:46 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by perrjojo View Post
Those who do not want bicycles on the road will never change their minds. Some just don't understand why a cyclist wants to ride on the road. Let me shed a little light on their reasoning. As a serious cyclist my husband and I rode about 2500 miles per year. That would be quite a task on the interior streets and multi modal paths. Most cyclist ride for cardio benifts. Riding thru tunnels, over speed bumps and around internal streets will not allow for a good cardio workout...
I will never ride as much as you and your husband have. And believe me...I respect your opinion. But I must disagree about cardio benefits off the main streets. I ride quite a bit and pretty good distances for cardio and I get plenty. I will ride on the roadside paths (like on O'dell, Stillwater and many others, as well as the MMP's. I don't often ride on the strictly internal subdivision streets. I never ride on Morse or Buena Vista proper (auto lanes...I will ride on Morse roadside bike lane). But I rarely have to stop for bumps, signs or such. I can go as fast as I like for as long as I like while never entering a "main road". The rare tunnel is inconsequential. I'm to it and through it very quickly...and safely.