View Single Post

Old 01-22-2015, 03:59 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
There is no comparison in visual awareness between when I am riding and in my car. I can see much better when I am riding. My mirror is on the end of my drop bars and my helmet/sunglasses do not restrict my peripheral vision. Where is your mirror?

Regarding a cardio workout, the opportunities are much better on the roads than the multimodal paths. I can stand up and accelerate when I want and there are some hills in The Villages and north of The Villages. You are much more restricted as to what you can do on the multimodal paths and frequent stop are necessary with traffic and the entrances to the different Villages. The tunnels are dangerous and not a cardio opportunity for me. I also like to ride at a pretty good clip - something you can't do on the multimodal paths.
My mirror is on my top tube aimed between my legs. Before coming to TV, I would ride about 50-60 miles per week (2500 miles per yr), all on neighborhood streets with speeds up to 27 mph and averages for 10-15 miles 14 or 15 mph (including stops, slow downs, etc.). I have also ridden all over TV and can easily do 20 to 30 miles without riding on BVB with some pretty hilly rides, as you already know. If you think you need to ride on open roads to get a good workout, I suggest you wind through your neighborhood until you get on some of these local country roads outside of TV. You can ride for miles with maybe only see a few cars. I know, because I have done it. In my opinion, anyone that thinks riding BVB regularly with all the roundabouts and 70-80 year old seniors driving all over the place is safe just isn't thinking logically. It's the same logic as the motorcyclist that thinks riding with a helmet is less safe than with one because they claim the helmet impairs hearing and peripheral vision (which is not true). Anyway. Good luck; be safe.