View Single Post

Old 01-22-2015, 08:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomwed View Post
Was this mentioned?

When you are on a bike you trust the car behind you will stop and get nervous if it doesn't look like they might. Speaking for myself, I have gone through stop signs many times because there was lots of space ahead and I would rather explain my decision to a police officer and hope he understood or pay the fine if he didn't. It's a calculated risk.

Unless you know from experience how fragile you are on a bike compared to a car you probably won't understand.
I understand BUT, looking at this from an auto driver's perspective, not knowing if the cyclist is going to stop, move cautiously, or just blast through the sign creates stress from the uncertainty. No different from the cart driver that pulls out of a side street without stopping because HE knows he's just going into the diamond lane, but the driver of the car doesn't know that. More stress.

Ideally, everyone should stop at the signs, every time. Will it happen? Nope. What works for me is the attitude I am driving the internal roads of a large resort and may come upon many types of vehicles as well as pedestrians and runners. And I must be prepared for all eventualities. And expect everyone I encounter will do something stupid.