View Single Post

Old 01-22-2015, 10:14 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
As I remember, SS was established as a supplement and never as a retirement plan. Over the years it has transitioned to a retirement plan and now millions have it as their only income...while more millions make significant returns on their investments and still continue to take SS. I have counseled my kids to make sure they control their future, SS may be a supplement but if they count on it they will disappointed and don't expect me to chip in. I find it interesting that we (yes I include me in that we) get slightly crazy when Uncle talks about increasing taxes or redistributing wealth or providing more assistance yet when they talk about taking SS from those that really don't need it (means testing) we get just as crazy because now they are talking about us. End of rant.
Thank you for your post. This wonderful, fast growing community we live in probably has more unfunded SS, Medicare, disability, pensions (state, federal, military) per acre as any place on earth. Our children and grandchildren had nothing to do with that but are picking up the tab.