View Single Post

Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I think because it is a way to divert thoughts from the awfulness of it and the fact that at this point we haven't a cure.

I do it myself sometimes, joke about memory loss.

The burden of care is so overwhelming to the one in charge that there is nothing I can find to say. It is one of the hardest jobs any human is called to do.

It just isn't just the endless questions, or the erratic behavior or the fading right in front of you of someone you so love. It is also the never being off duty, the physical work and the terrible expense and the hopelessness.

Perhaps someone can post the link to The National Alzheimers Association. It is a worthy recipient of our support. Both with money and with time to spell a family member.
Your points, as usual, are well taken.

I certainly understand from time to time caregivers or loved ones needing a release from the burden. What I find disturbing is jokes or insensitive comments from people who have been fortunate enough to never experience personally the devastation that the disease causes.

Having said that, I think that most people who make the comments are not mean people, they just do not understand how not everyone may see their comments as humorous.