View Single Post

Old 01-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags123 View Post
A few questions with all due respect.....

How do you determine who needs social security ?

How do you take back something that they have paid into for years ?

Yes, I get a bit crazy...not for the reasons you mention, which are ALWAYS the standard phrases used by a certain p group to justify the assistance programs, etc. I DO NOT FEEL GUILTY ABOUT TAKING SOCIAL SECURITY which seems to be the intent of this thread and a few others on the same exact subject with the same posters.

This is a different age and thus the question is basically ludicrous ! When it was proposed by Bush...albeit invest a percentage if you wanted to...he was laughed off the podium. Quotes supplied upon request.
I understand your questions and the perspective you see......first, let me be clear that I do not feel guilty and have the same perspective that I paid in so I should get it. Wait, I think I'm getting the money my kids are paying into the plan.....my money supported my parents didn't it. The fact that maybe I don't need it and someone else could be better off if I didn't take it doesn't matter. As far as your question about means testing, the government means tests all their entitlement programs, medicaid, food stamps, housing assistance etc. so establishing a means test will not be difficult for Uncle and of course then ignoring any attempt to enforce or eliminate abuse.

My kids hate the concept of SS as do most of their friends that I have met. They aren't against forced retirement plans but believe that the money they pay into SS should be put into a private plan, that they can't touch, and allows them input into it's direction. In that scenario, they would be getting the money they put into it and not depend on the money the generation behind them is putting into a government plan.

At some point the system will need to change, as more take advantage of the entitlements programs there will be less money going into SS which is why today's generation have no faith in SS being available to them. They understand the funding solutions (or for those of us from the business side like to call it.....revenue streams) will have to come from somewhere and Uncles only source is us.....more taxes, different taxes, surcharges, fees etc. They will continue to fund and add programs.....and we will continue to defend those that benefit us and vilify most of those that don't but either way, we pay.

Berks County Pennsylvania