Need humidistat education!

Need humidistat education!

Notices

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Need humidistat education!
  #1  
Old 03-21-2016, 08:24 AM
bosbab bosbab is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Canada now. Previously Boston
Posts: 3
Default Need humidistat education!

New owner here is beginning to understand that we want to control the indoor humidity of our homes, especially when we're away, more so than its temperature. I don't think this house has a humidistat. Is that common with 10 year+ HVAC equipment? What's the general cost etc to install a programmable one & who are recommended people to do it?
Thanks for your 1st hand experience!

  #2  
Old 03-21-2016, 08:31 AM
johnnyb johnnyb is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 12
Default

if you have one it will be close by the thermastat.
we installed one 3 years ago when we purchased the home.
called Munns, i remember the cost to be around a $150.
great money saver if the house is vacant during the summer.
Sponsored Links
  #3  
Old 03-21-2016, 09:12 AM
justjim justjim is offline
Sage
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Posts: 4,300
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosbab View Post
New owner here is beginning to understand that we want to control the indoor humidity of our homes, especially when we're away, more so than its temperature. I don't think this house has a humidistat. Is that common with 10 year+ HVAC equipment? What's the general cost etc to install a programmable one & who are recommended people to do it?
Thanks for your 1st hand experience!
OP, most older units (10 years and older) did not have a humidistat. Many newer homes do and for about 200.00 you can get one installed. Well worth the money.
__________________
Most people are as happy as they make up their mind to be. Abraham Lincoln
Need humidistat education!
  #4  
Old 03-21-2016, 09:42 AM
RickeyD RickeyD is offline
Soaring Eagle member
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 2,433
Default Need humidistat education!

A Humidistat will be much more effective if the fan speed can be slowed down. Most fan motors are multi speed. Tech needs to install a relay so that on a call for dehumidification the fan will slow down, otherwise most of the energy will be used to decrease the house temperature rather than dehumidify.

Last edited by RickeyD; 03-21-2016 at 09:54 AM.
  #5  
Old 03-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Phanatic Luvr's Avatar
Phanatic Luvr Phanatic Luvr is offline
Gold member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Philadelphia & Lower Gwynedd, PA, Ocean City, NJ, Wesley Chapel, FL and The Village of St. James
Posts: 1,092
Default

Hi Bosbab! In what neighborhood do you live? Most homes below 466A, except for some in Sanibel and Charlotte, have a programmable thermostat which you can set your humidistat, however, it is a bit different than the ones you can install below the thermostat which cost approx. $200. If you have one of the newer ones, your humidity should be set at 60% and your temp no higher than 83*. This will allow the a/c to start working when either the humidity or temperature in the home exceeds 60% or 83*. If you have an after market one, you should set the humidistat at 60% and a/c at 78*. This kind of humidistat works off the humidity alone in your home and if it exceeds 60%, will allow the a/c to start working. I frequent many homes with both kind during the summer months and some homes with the kind installed below the thermostat on the wall, which operate by the humidity alone, the temperatures can reach as high as 89* in the homes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a private message with your #.
  #6  
Old 05-15-2016, 11:04 PM
Nu2thevillage Nu2thevillage is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanatic Luvr View Post
Hi Bosbab! In what neighborhood do you live? Most homes below 466A, except for some in Sanibel and Charlotte, have a programmable thermostat which you can set your humidistat, however, it is a bit different than the ones you can install below the thermostat which cost approx. $200. If you have one of the newer ones, your humidity should be set at 60% and your temp no higher than 83*. This will allow the a/c to start working when either the humidity or temperature in the home exceeds 60% or 83*. If you have an after market one, you should set the humidistat at 60% and a/c at 78*. This kind of humidistat works off the humidity alone in your home and if it exceeds 60%, will allow the a/c to start working. I frequent many homes with both kind during the summer months and some homes with the kind installed below the thermostat on the wall, which operate by the humidity alone, the temperatures can reach as high as 89* in the homes.
If you have any further questions, please feel free to send me a private message with your #.
We'll be closing on our home in Charlotte soon, how can I tell if the home has a humidistat? In the newer homes would it be built into the programmable thermostat or is it a separate device?
  #7  
Old 05-16-2016, 05:46 AM
rubicon rubicon is offline
Email Reported As Spam
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 13,707
Default

One of the first things we did when we moved into our new home here was install a programmable thermostat to control indoor humidity which we desire to be below 50 because above 50 with moisture is ideal for mold/mildew build up.

We waited for 9 years and then upgraded to a new HVAC, all appliances including garbage disposal because builders usually do not install top of the line.

Now only if I could trade in my old body for a new one. Hmmmm
Back to the gym
  #8  
Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 AM
biker1 biker1 is offline
Platinum member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,702
Default

The newer homes with Carrier systems have a humidistat built into the programmable "thermostat". I do not believe it has the ability to ramp down the fan speed. It will bring the temperature below the set point in an attempt to meet the desired humidity. It may not be turned enabled but a quick Google search will show you how to turn it on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2thevillage View Post
We'll be closing on our home in Charlotte soon, how can I tell if the home has a humidistat? In the newer homes would it be built into the programmable thermostat or is it a separate device?
Closed Thread

Tags
humidistat, cost, install, equipment, general, year+, common, programmable, hvac, 1st, hand, experience, house, recommended, people, control, indoor, humidity, understand, education, owner, beginning, homes, temperature

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 AM.