2019 Solar Conversion for Electricity

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2019, 07:36 AM
Default 2019 Solar Conversion for Electricity

I am interested in going Solar for electricity and did not see any recent threads on this issue. Has anyone installed panels in the last year and if so, how has electric generation been?

After doing some research, I am considering Panasonic Premium Panels with micro inverters half on south side and half on east side. Current quote after 30 percent tax credit is $11,000 for a 5.85 KW system or a payback of 10 years by paying cash

My long range thinking is
1. I can lock in most of my electricity costs
2. I will probably have an electric car in the next 5 years which will draw an additional 1000 KWh which is double my current usage. BTW calculation is 200 miles per charge on a 40 kw battery pack and 5000 miles per year driving.

Comments?
Old 06-23-2019, 07:42 AM

Interesting, I saw an article on Tesla and their solar panels which put the cost near the $60,000. range for panels, batteries and installation. Quite the price difference. There has been some discussion of solar panels in the past with payback being at least 20 years and assuming no repair costs during those 20 years.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

I have never understood why TV have not installed solar on all new builds.
The extra cost would be swallowed in the purchase price and with instalation on that scale the price would be way lower than installing after purchase..
The only thing against putting it on an existing home is the cost, and the limited financial return for the 'older' installer
Old 06-23-2019, 08:03 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,335 Times in 729 Posts

I recommend that first you get a sense energy monitor (Amazon). $300 or 350 for the solar package. Once you have this and before you go solar you will have a clear understanding how you use power.

Why do this? You use your solar power at retail rate but you sell back your power at wholesale. If you understand this you'll be able to make some very precise calculations. You will be able to cut back your consumption.

Let's be honest it is cheaper to conserve power than generate it. Me? I saved over 20% and I still don't have solar. Your mileage may vary!
Old 06-23-2019, 08:05 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Bills View Post
I have never understood why TV have not installed solar on all new builds.
Crazy not to have put a few panels on the new sports pools changing rooms. They would provide all of the power needed for heating the pool, lighting, air-con and heating water for showers.
Old 06-23-2019, 09:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo120 View Post
I am interested in going Solar for electricity and did not see any recent threads on this issue. Has anyone installed panels in the last year and if so, how has electric generation been?

After doing some research, I am considering Panasonic Premium Panels with micro inverters half on south side and half on east side. Current quote after 30 percent tax credit is $11,000 for a 5.85 KW system or a payback of 10 years by paying cash

My long range thinking is
1. I can lock in most of my electricity costs
2. I will probably have an electric car in the next 5 years which will draw an additional 1000 KWh which is double my current usage. BTW calculation is 200 miles per charge on a 40 kw battery pack and 5000 miles per year driving.

Comments?
Apparently, solar panels can make sense today. Even my favorite cheapskate, Clark Howard, thinks so. I would suggest that you read his articles and recommendations about solar power on his website, "clark.com". He has a lot of good information about this topic. I would also do my own payback calculation and not rely on the contractor's claims. Have you considered possible repairs and maintenance in the calculation? Also, have you asked a real estate agent how the panels will affect the resale value of your house? Good luck.
Old 06-23-2019, 10:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

I saw an article recently that there is some legislation is process to (I think) deregulate the state. If this goes through, and IF Florida state puts a premium or solar/wind/renewal energy sources solar make make a lot more sense. I have looked at the cost and savings, and after considering all of the factors including the LOST investment income I find the payback to be too long, and if maintenance is included, for example removal and reinstall when replacing the roof, inverter failures, etc., then I am not sure there is a payback, under the CURRENT rate structure.
I am very "FOR" solar, I spent most of my career working on national standards for connecting these types of sources to the electric grid, but it needs to make financial sense for me to participate with the installation on my house. I came from PA where the state deregulated decades ago, and solar made a lots of sense, but at the time the houses that I owned were not well suited for a roof top solar installation, and too many trees for a ground based system.
Hope this helps, and good luck with your project.

Tags
electricity, year, side, panels, years

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.