Have you air-conditioned your garage? Please share how it went.

Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2022, 12:51 PM
Default Have you air-conditioned your garage? Please share how it went.

Hi all, We're going to need our garage space for lots of storage. Air-conditioning should help keep things stored there in good condition and make it more comfortable to use the space in summer. If you've done it, were you happy with your contractor? Do you think it was a good idea? Since we don't need heat, just the a/c, what kind of unit do you advise? Looking forward to hearing from some Villagers.
Old 07-18-2022, 01:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

I would use a mini split heat pump that will provide heating and cooling. You will need to add insulation to the ceiling and garage door. It's not much different from conditioning a lanai. I would start with a quote from Munn's. A window unit air conditioner would be a lot cheaper, but they are not allowed in most of The Villages areas. Good luck.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:08 PM

Thanks. I hadn't thought about insulation. Makes good sense.
Old 07-18-2022, 02:40 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,940 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smalley View Post
Hi all, We're going to need our garage space for lots of storage. Air-conditioning should help keep things stored there in good condition and make it more comfortable to use the space in summer. If you've done it, were you happy with your contractor? Do you think it was a good idea? Since we don't need heat, just the a/c, what kind of unit do you advise? Looking forward to hearing from some Villagers.
I use a floor unit vents through window or thru attic we have a roof exhaust fan above the garage less expensive than mini split. Works well easy to maintain 75°.
Amazon.com
Old 07-18-2022, 04:05 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,051 Times in 289 Posts

Depends on your situation, but since the air handler is in my garage, I've often thought of just putting a register in the plenum, for occasional use. If your garage is small and your A/C new and a little oversize, it might work year round, just to knock the temp down to the 80's. Of course, you'd need the insulation, regardless, but $15 vs $3000(?) for a mini-split? If it was me, I'd give it a try. Probably totally illegal and you'd have to remove it if you sell the house. So save the piece you cut out, and tape it back in when you move.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueblaze View Post
Depends on your situation, but since the air handler is in my garage, I've often thought of just putting a register in the plenum, for occasional use. If your garage is small and your A/C new and a little oversize, it might work year round, just to knock the temp down to the 80's. Of course, you'd need the insulation, regardless, but $15 vs $3000(?) for a mini-split? If it was me, I'd give it a try. Probably totally illegal and you'd have to remove it if you sell the house. So save the piece you cut out, and tape it back in when you move.
I looked at my plenum. If could be done, but would require some ductwork because my air handler unit is inside a closet. Also, there would be no return air. It would definitely be a fire code violation.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:35 AM
Default Garage ac

We insulated our garage doors and had Munns install a mini split with wifi capabilities. It works great and we can monitor it from other locations. It’s also very efficient. Our garage faces west so it used to get up to 100 degrees in there.
Old 07-19-2022, 05:45 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,296 Times in 557 Posts

I believe this was discussed on a couple previous forums, and the Mini-split was the Best idea.. The garage attic must be insulated to make this job worthwhile…The TV and recliner should also be included in your overall costs..being comfortable at our age is priority
Old 07-19-2022, 05:59 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
You must insulate the entire garage and ceiling. I also have the radiate heat barrier. The unit is a ductless wall unit with a thermostat so you can set the temp to what ever you need. If you can drain it by gravity you will avoid the pump in the attic which can burn out and costs about $500 to replace.
Old 07-19-2022, 06:29 AM
Veteran member

you don't need much, the garages aren't all that bad. of course if you just moved from up north you'll freak, if you've been here for years you won't LOL. It's a simple solution, blown insulation above the garage + gaskets (more than insulation) around garage door + 1 vent overhead. You'd be surprised what a 'laundry room vent" will do to one of these garages. Not off the plenum - they can tie into a run and place it near the door into the house. There is zero effect on yoru bill since your thermostat is in the house. I can tell you that we can keep that garage very confortable with that configuration, our house prior was a oversized 3 car garage on the east side of FL.... worked like a charm. Cost me $100.
Old 07-19-2022, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Call Munn’s. Very satisfied. BTW they will refer to your Mini Split as a de-humidifier. An “air conditioner” will increase your livable square footage for tax purposes.
Old 07-19-2022, 08:34 AM

I have screens across garage door. Open during the day let heat out. You can purchase them with screen you can not see in.
Old 07-19-2022, 09:46 AM

Do not use carrier . They are a terrible for warranty repairs . Do not waste your money on Mitisubishi over priced expensive to repair. Better off using any of the cheap systems . All the systems expensive and cheap use many of the same components .
Old 07-19-2022, 10:41 AM

One might start out by getting your attic insulated as this would help to keep the garage cooler in the summer months. A mini-split is always an additional option but it would be only if you plan on using your garage like an additional room for the house and don't plan on raising/lowering the garage door. Last factor might be which way your door would be facing. If you get evening sun on the door the mini-split would be working extra hard to cool the space.

Good luck
Old 07-19-2022, 02:30 PM

We insulated the garage and keep the door to the house open. Taxes the house AC but keeps the garage tolerable. Solar guys insulated the attic.
Closed Thread

Tags
space, good, garage, contractor, happy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.