The 20 mph speed limit

Closed Thread
Old 10-27-2015, 10:38 AM
Post The 20 mph speed limit

This 20 mph thing is a can of worms, because it's based on the assumption that the cart is on level ground on a windless day. Our carts have high wind resistance, and tests I've done using an accurate speedometer have shown that my (gas) cart can go 2-3 mph faster if there's a vigorous tailwind, and conversely can be that much slower if going into a strong wind. If going down a steep hill (ry Stillwater Trail where it starts at the top of the hill on Odell Circle), i've seen 25 mph! Going uphill can knock 2-3 mph off your speed. So, depending upon which of these circumstances are in place at the time a cop zaps you with his radar gun (e.g. going downhill with a tailwind), a speeding citation may well be an unfair event. I keep an eye on wind and grade, and if I were ticketed unfairly I would be prepared to fight it in court - a $500 fine is not a trifling penalty!
Old 10-27-2015, 05:42 PM
Sage

I found it strange that after having my yearly service at Villages Carts in Brownwood was told that they adjusted my top speed to 21.5 mph. Are they giving me an extra 1.5 mph because the police will probably give us 2.0 mph? I believe it is a must to have a speedometer because as was pointed out many variables can effect your speed.
Old 10-27-2015, 05:57 PM
Sage

If you are not prepared to be responsible for you actions have them set maximum speed to 15. There is no logic to the OP.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

How is being ticketed for going over 20 MPH, regardless of whether it is caused by moving downhill or the wind, unfair? It is your responsibility to control the speed of your cart regardless of the conditions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hchilds@massmed.org View Post
This 20 mph thing is a can of worms, because it's based on the assumption that the cart is on level ground on a windless day. Our carts have high wind resistance, and tests I've done using an accurate speedometer have shown that my (gas) cart can go 2-3 mph faster if there's a vigorous tailwind, and conversely can be that much slower if going into a strong wind. If going down a steep hill (ry Stillwater Trail where it starts at the top of the hill on Odell Circle), i've seen 25 mph! Going uphill can knock 2-3 mph off your speed. So, depending upon which of these circumstances are in place at the time a cop zaps you with his radar gun (e.g. going downhill with a tailwind), a speeding citation may well be an unfair event. I keep an eye on wind and grade, and if I were ticketed unfairly I would be prepared to fight it in court - a $500 fine is not a trifling penalty!
Old 10-27-2015, 06:21 PM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,297 Times in 535 Posts

A speedometer should be mandatory on all carts same as signals and lights.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Because it is just plain idiotic. Drivers who go 70 or 80 in their cars can probably control a golf cart at 20.001 mph. That being said, the LAW, from the other thread is that over 20 makes it a LSV subject to registration etc. The law is also idiotic, but it is what it is. Therefore, why not make the speed limit on MMPs or for carts on roads 17 mph---you'll have a leeway for tailwinds/hills and the like, and you (probably) won't get cited for 19. And if you do, it won't be the "felony" others claim it to be. This would also make the "slower is safer" crowd happy. Of course, why not everyone just get on their hands and knees and crawl to their destination--safer yet. You can tie your golf bag to you leg and drag it.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

The law is 20 MPH. If you don't like it then you can certainly work to try and change it. In the interim, like many things in life that we don't agree with, exceed it at your own peril. I am sure this thread will go on and on for many pages but the law is quite clear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Because it is just plain idiotic. Drivers who go 70 or 80 in their cars can probably control a golf cart at 20.001 mph. That being said, the LAW, from the other thread is that over 20 makes it a LSV subject to registration etc. The law is also idiotic, but it is what it is. Therefore, why not make the speed limit on MMPs or for carts on roads 17 mph---you'll have a leeway for tailwinds/hills and the like, and you (probably) won't get cited for 19. And if you do, it won't be the "felony" others claim it to be. This would also make the "slower is safer" crowd happy. Of course, why not everyone just get on their hands and knees and crawl to their destination--safer yet. You can tie your golf bag to you leg and drag it.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:32 PM

Quote:
To quote an old adage, "a fool and his money are soon parted"!
Old 10-27-2015, 07:32 PM
Sage
Location: Summer at the Jersey Shore, Fall in New England [Maine], Winter in TV!

hchilds - Should you find it necessary to go to court to defend yourself, plese post the date/time/location of the event...I for one would like to be there to hear your defense.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:44 PM
Callaway Guy

Quote:
Wow. I would love to see a LEO's reaction to that dissertation of speeding.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:17 PM
Platinum member
Talking Shakespeare said it best

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callaway Guy View Post
Wow. I would love to see a LEO's reaction to that dissertation of speeding.
It would be regarded as ......... "...full of sound and fury, signifying nothing." (Macbeth, Act V, Scene V).

Old 10-28-2015, 04:58 AM
Email Reported As Spam

To my way of thinking this topic is not complete without considering average speed. My speedometer also records average speed and it is average speed that counts on multi-modals paths. Because of such factors as capacity weather, etc carts actually travel a lot less than 20 mph. I have no need for a speed above 20mph because with my gas cart I can maintain a decent average speed, unlike my electric cart. Notice then that a cart traveling at a speed below 16mph is probably averaging 14mph perhaps less.

The planners for The Villages continue to expand and with that expansion calls for residents to travel further. To my way of thinking it becomes burdensome to continue the charade of mph when a 5 mph difference is not a material especially because of factoring in average speed. I say that with the thought of safety above all else.

If you analyze the accidents that have occurred most are not caused by speed but misjudgments. Also analyze injuries sustained as many are attributed more to the fragile state of the injured individual.

Having said all of that I follow the 20mph rule because of safety and of course fines
Old 10-28-2015, 05:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,910 Times in 4,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon View Post
To my way of thinking this topic is not complete without considering average speed. My speedometer also records average speed and it is average speed that counts on multi-modals paths. Because of such factors as capacity weather, etc carts actually travel a lot less than 20 mph. I have no need for a speed above 20mph because with my gas cart I can maintain a decent average speed, unlike my electric cart. Notice then that a cart traveling at a speed below 16mph is probably averaging 14mph perhaps less.

The planners for The Villages continue to expand and with that expansion calls for residents to travel further. To my way of thinking it becomes burdensome to continue the charade of mph when a 5 mph difference is not a material especially because of factoring in average speed. I say that with the thought of safety above all else.

If you analyze the accidents that have occurred most are not caused by speed but misjudgments. Also analyze injuries sustained as many are attributed more to the fragile state of the injured individual.

Having said all of that I follow the 20mph rule because of safety and of course fines
This goes against every "New York" fiber in my being, but I must disagree. I wouldn't want to try to explain to a LEO who cites you for 22, as well as having "an unregistered LSV", that yes, I was going 22 but my speedometer gives an average of 18. After all, if in a 40 mph zone cars turning, traffic lights and rubbernecking causes me to average 20 mph for 1/2 the trip, does that mean I am free to drive 60 for the other half? While I also absolutely hate to agree with the "you're retired, what's the rush" crowd, I have to here as well. If you travel 5 miles in your cart, which is probably the longest you would generally do, the difference between 15 mph and 20 mph is 5 min---you can figure a difference of 1 minute per mile for shorter trips. If you're that tight on your tee time, you'll probably pull a muscle on the first swing anyway. So leave a few minutes earlier and be safer
But.... to those who argue that golf carts are designed to go 13 mph and are unstable at higher speeds---true, on turns and side hill lies on a golf course. But just as you don't drive the 35 mph expressway exit ramp at 75, you don't take a curve on a MMP at full speed. It's called driving skills, which some people seem to lack once they get behind the wheel of a cart.
My pet peeve is really restricted to the interstates. Driving 1200 miles at 75 is 16 hours, at 50 it is 24 hours. So my tolerance for those bozos that park themselves in the left lane at 50 mph is ZERO. Same is true for those that pull out to pass a slow truck, but never manage to pass them. If that's the limit of your ability to control a car, GET OFF and take back roads instead. At least you'll be annoying someone else. There's a huge difference between 8 hours on a long trip and 2 minutes on a 2 mile MMP cart trip. Sorry to vent, but I have to make this drive in 9 days and I know what I will encounter.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:46 AM
Soaring Eagle member

With all the intersections and tunnels, I find it's difficult to average better than 12 mph on a trip of any length no matter what my maximum speed is set at. My car is governed at 155 mph, but over a 1000 miles travel around the local area, including some 90-100 mph (for the record, I really didn't do this) very brief sections, I only average 29 mph!
Old 10-28-2015, 07:50 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
This goes against every "New York" fiber in my being, but I must disagree. I wouldn't want to try to explain to a LEO who cites you for 22, as well as having "an unregistered LSV", that yes, I was going 22 but my speedometer gives an average of 18. After all, if in a 40 mph zone cars turning, traffic lights and rubbernecking causes me to average 20 mph for 1/2 the trip, does that mean I am free to drive 60 for the other half? While I also absolutely hate to agree with the "you're retired, what's the rush" crowd, I have to here as well. If you travel 5 miles in your cart, which is probably the longest you would generally do, the difference between 15 mph and 20 mph is 5 min---you can figure a difference of 1 minute per mile for shorter trips. If you're that tight on your tee time, you'll probably pull a muscle on the first swing anyway. So leave a few minutes earlier and be safer
But.... to those who argue that golf carts are designed to go 13 mph and are unstable at higher speeds---true, on turns and side hill lies on a golf course. But just as you don't drive the 35 mph expressway exit ramp at 75, you don't take a curve on a MMP at full speed. It's called driving skills, which some people seem to lack once they get behind the wheel of a cart.
My pet peeve is really restricted to the interstates. Driving 1200 miles at 75 is 16 hours, at 50 it is 24 hours. So my tolerance for those bozos that park themselves in the left lane at 50 mph is ZERO. Same is true for those that pull out to pass a slow truck, but never manage to pass them. If that's the limit of your ability to control a car, GET OFF and take back roads instead. At least you'll be annoying someone else. There's a huge difference between 8 hours on a long trip and 2 minutes on a 2 mile MMP cart trip. Sorry to vent, but I have to make this drive in 9 days and I know what I will encounter.
Why not just take the train and also bring your car with you? I think there is that service from NY.
Closed Thread

Tags
mph, wind, tailwind, speed, hill, 2-3, cart, place, fine, fight, time, cop, prepared, zaps, circumstances, depending, $500, court, penalty, event, knock, unfair, unfairly, eye, ticketed

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.