Maint Free Battery Question

Closed Thread
Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 AM
Default Maint Free Battery Question

Just yesterday we purchased the new 2011 Par Car with the new maint free batteries. ( we have been pondering/looking for the last year and absolutely love the electric Par Car ! ) We are still Ptimers so my question to any Ptimers out there with the new batteris is this...The dealer says leave the cart plugged in even if we are gone for 3 months! This worries us. We are usually here in TV at least every 45- 60 days BUT to leave the cart plugged in is worrisome. Anyone have any experiences to share that would help us? Thank you!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:59 AM
Sage
Default Sounds like a nice cart!!

I share your reservation about leaving a charger plugged in. Maybe I am paranoid, but lightning or even a charger malfunction worries me.

What I do is give it a full charge. I then disconnect the battery pack to prevent any components from sucking on the batteries. I may get push back on this but IMO you will be fine for 45-60 days. I suspect your pack will still have 50 volts in when you return. I would be hesitant to let it discharge too much more than that.

When you return, plug it in, let it charge and do your normal maintenance.

If you had to be gone longer consider a neighbor or home watch person to help out. If the cart has a battery meter, ask them to charge when it gets to a spot which represents 49.5 to 50 volts.

I would be more worried about the tires getting a flat spot ..... I leave mine off the floor in my absence.

This is just my opinion, Alan is not an expert.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.