2013 Yamaha Drive Front Suspension

Closed Thread
Old 09-26-2017, 11:24 AM
Default 2013 Yamaha Drive Front Suspension

My gas cart has over 15k miles since I bought it new from TV in 2012. The front end now shakes and wobbles from normal wear and tear. Has anyone had a similar issue? What was done to fix it as I’d like to try to do the repair myself. I’d guess the two (inner and outer) bearings on steering knuckle spindle need replacing and/or the king pin spacer and bushings that mount the steering knuckle to the shock absorber C shaped mount. Perhaps someone can share some advice and guidance including what tools are needed. For example, if a bearing press is needed, I’ll let someone else do the repair!
Old 09-26-2017, 12:58 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Please keep us informed on how this works out for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnInTwo View Post
My gas cart has over 15k miles since I bought it new from TV in 2012. The front end now shakes and wobbles from normal wear and tear. Has anyone had a similar issue? What was done to fix it as I’d like to try to do the repair myself. I’d guess the two (inner and outer) bearings on steering knuckle spindle need replacing and/or the king pin spacer and bushings that mount the steering knuckle to the shock absorber C shaped mount. Perhaps someone can share some advice and guidance including what tools are needed. For example, if a bearing press is needed, I’ll let someone else do the repair!
Old 09-26-2017, 01:03 PM

neighbor had same tbl. 2013 Yamaha tried to tighten front nut no good had to get front spindles replace . cost around $150 there press fit couldn't do a fiy.... now every time he does tire rotation checks nut....
Old 09-26-2017, 01:09 PM

neighbor had same trouble in 2113 Yamaha had to replace both front spindles or bearing part . there pressed in cost around $150. now when here rotated tires checks nut if it got loose.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKIMAN View Post
neighbor had same tbl. 2013 Yamaha tried to tighten front nut no good had to get front spindles replace . cost around $150 there press fit couldn't do a fiy.... now every time he does tire rotation checks nut....

Prime example of an "over repair" A 2013 that needed the spindles replaced? Spindles didn't need replaced, maybe the bearings needed replaced but that would be really really rare as they last many years.
Old 09-26-2017, 06:27 PM

Quote:

First question I would ask is who is doing your service? King pins don't wear out unless they haven't been properly maintained. This is normally done during a service. The majority of shops don't do it, but it is a preventable repair.

Front bearings? Maybe,but they do last a long time, no press required if they do need replaced. If your getting noise from the front, make sure the hub is not worn.
Old 09-26-2017, 08:06 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechGC View Post
First question I would ask is who is doing your service? King pins don't wear out unless they haven't been properly maintained. This is normally done during a service. The majority of shops don't do it, but it is a preventable repair.

Front bearings? Maybe,but they do last a long time, no press required if they do need replaced. If your getting noise from the front, make sure the hub is not worn.
What do you do to properly maintain the king pins?
Old 09-27-2017, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
What do you do to properly maintain the king pins?

They need to be removed and greased.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,921 Times in 2,447 Posts

well, I would think with all the wobble the front tires would be worn and that would be the first thing I would look at, then the hubs for slop working my way through the front suspension. Basically you have to jack the weight off the front tires wiggle and pry till you see something that got Slop in it. then you have to figure out what's worn. Which I wouldn't rule out the Rack and pinion? . Plenty of online parts places to get replacement parts. My cart got 8000 miles and the front end looks new and is as tight as new. If you don't have tools jack, jack stands, vise, work bench probably be best to just have the work done. My 2012 Gas Yamaha front end parts are built very good compared to the 2003 CLub car which looked like tooth picks compared to yamaha's.
Old 11-21-2017, 07:21 PM

The fix was to replace the steering tie rod ends, part number JU0-F3841-00. I got them from Buggies Unlimited who lists the part as TIE ROD, OUTER,YAM G22, G29. The cost was $25.46 x 2+ $8 shipping. The installation was simple and took about 90 minutes. I found the issue by lifting the front wheel off the ground, grabbing the wheel which would had play/movement from side to side but not up and down. The old part was very worn compared to the new with about 15,000 miles on the cart.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:52 PM
Sage

Quote:
The fix was to replace the steering tie rod ends, part number JU0-F3841-00. I got them from Buggies Unlimited who lists the part as TIE ROD, OUTER,YAM G22, G29. The cost was $25.46 x 2+ $8 shipping. The installation was simple and took about 90 minutes. I found the issue by lifting the front wheel off the ground, grabbing the wheel which would had play/movement from side to side but not up and down. The old part was very worn compared to the new with about 15,000 miles on the cart.
Did it come with instructions on how to replace them and not misalign the front end?

I take it goes straight down the road and don't crab. steering wheel still straight, and it don't pull left or right? Most will count the threads exposed or measure to make sure get the new tie rod to exact length so you don't misalign the front end?

Another way to check is mark the tires in the exact middle (3 O'clock , measure across, now move the cart without moving the steering wheel till the marks are on the opposite side (9 O'clock) and measure, compare the two measurements. If off adjust the one or both that looks crooked or you get the same measurement.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:56 AM

Good post.
Old 11-26-2017, 02:56 PM

The old and new part are identical size. I measured the distance between the start of each tie rod to the inner edge of the old part. I also counted the turns needed to unscrew the old part from the tie rod. Hope this helps someone else. The fix was quite easy once I knew which part was bad.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:00 PM
Sage

Quote:
The old and new part are identical size. I measured the distance between the start of each tie rod to the inner edge of the old part. I also counted the turns needed to unscrew the old part from the tie rod. Hope this helps someone else. The fix was quite easy once I knew which part was bad.
Good Job!
Closed Thread

Tags
i’d, repair, needed, mount, knuckle

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.